Drive-through Testing Centre
We now offer visitors of all ages the convenience of a drive through COVID-19 testing facility without even having to leave their cars. The Waterfront, in partnership with Dis-Chem, launched the new public facility in October.
- All patients are required to pre-register on the Dischem website.
- Pre-registration has been implemented to control the number of tests per day; per station to avoid any backlog and delay in results from the laboratories.
- Once you have registered an SMS confirming your selected station, date and a visitor’s ID will be sent to you.
- Battery Park is easily located as you enter the V&A Waterfront from Dock Road.
- After Waterway house, you take a left and will see signage to your left to direct you into the parking lot.
- On arrival in the Battery Park parking garage, kindly present your visitors ID.
- Note that the COVID-19 Swab Test cost is R850.
- Payment can be made by credit/debit card. At this stage, the test is not covered by medical aid providers as their rules all differ currently. Anyone visiting the V&A specifically to do the test will not be required to pay for parking in the Battery Park parking garage.
- Test results will be sent via SMS to your registered cell phone number as soon as they are released.
- Covid-19 test Results can be expected between 3-5 working days from when the test was conducted.
What are the opening hours?
For ease of use, the facility will operate between 9am and 4pm from Monday to Friday, and between 9am and 1pm on Saturday. Extended hours and Sunday’s are planned for December. It is located at Battery Park in the V&A’s Canal District, with entrances via Alfred Street or Dock Road.
Who can get tested?
It will be open to any adult or child of any nationality, with the requirement that one must produce an identity document or passport. All patrons should wear a mask at the site.
What kind of tests are they?
Dis-Chem trained Nursing Practitioners will undertake the Nasopharyngeal swab tests. The lab results will be linked in to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) database.
How do you book?
People wishing to use the service will need to prebook on the Dischem website. To prevent backlogs, visitors are requested to pre-register online via Dis-Chem, however walk-ins will be permitted to register on site. The system is fully compliant with the POPI Act.
How long will results take?
Results will be out 3 -5 days after the test was conducted. These will be communicated by email and SMS. The customer should print the physical certificate at home/at their hotel for travelling purposes. All results are automatically communicated to the NICD.
How much does it cost?
Each swab test costs R850 and payment should be made by credit/debit card. At this stage, the test is not covered by medical aid providers as their rules all differ currently. Anyone visiting the V&A specifically to do the test will not be required to pay for parking in the Battery Park parking garage.